Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Self Evaluation

My experience throughout the course of Reading Education 430 has advanced my literacy skills to be a better educator. I have taken a lot with me from this course, including but not limited to strategies to strengthen and encourage fluency, comprehension, and interest in literacy. My commitment to this course was strong and I believe will prove beneficial as I begin my internship this August. I spent ample time on the readings and reflections. I made meaningful remarks in my blog posts and took thoughtful considerations to what those who commented on my blog posts had to say. I intend to use my blogs from this course as a great point of reference when applying what I have learned to classroom situations.

Before this course, I had never blogged and would have given limited consideration to such. However, this course has opened my eyes to the benefits of community learning and growth that open responses such as blogs create. Through blogging and my input in class, I was able to grow by learning from others. The activities we did in class that were samples of literacy activities we could do with our students were also of great benefit. I have put all the activities in my reading portfolio, as well as articles I found useful to revisit in the future. To help aid me when I do reference my reading portfolio, I highlighted important concepts or facts while I read, making for quick reference later on.

The experiences Reading Education 430 provided me with are without a doubt useful to me as an educator. I have grown so much in one month in my confidence with elementary literacy instruction. I have developed knowledge on what it means to be literate, how to encourage literacy, and ways to foster those who need extra help. While my growth as a successful educator is just beginning, this course provided me with a solid foundation. I have come away with a great portfolio that I will be able to reference in my classroom and have blogs to refresh me of what I have learned. I took this class very seriously and completed all the necessary steps, I would assess my grade to be an A.

No comments:

Post a Comment