Wednesday, June 29, 2011
Running Records by Marie M. Clay was a great introduction to ways in which teachers can assess student literacy during oral reading exercises. This little book offers great insight as to how we can notice and record student errors while reading in a meaningful way. The book offers a common language for scoring certain mistakes such as word insertion, self correction, and repetition to name a few. For a teacher to be effective, they must know what the students are getting incorrect to understand the area to focus instruction on. Running Records provides use with symbols meant to signify the different types of mistakes students make while reading. I think this book will be very useful for me to be successful in identifying and correcting difficulties children have. I look forward to practicing doing running records next year in my internship. Observing children's oral reading can be fast paced and to be able to provide correct analysis of the reader, I will need much more practice.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree that using running records in our classroom will be essential when we are teachers. I have some experience with performing running records, but until I read this book I really didn't understand just how useful they could be and all the information you can get from the records. I performed much simpler records, but like you I am looking forward to getting some much needed practice and working to build this skill as a teacher.
ReplyDeleteCarrie Sullivan